In 1879, John H. Gable of Shamokin, PA patented this oil-wick miner's cap lamp.
Founded in 1851, the Short Mountain Coal Company grew rapidly during the Civil War in association with the Pennsylvania Railroad.
This map from the Library of Congress collections includes fantastic illustrations of the Coal Region during the Civil War.
In May 1929, some of the anthracite industry believed mining was about to make a comeback. They were wrong.
"We are men and all we ask is to be treated as such," wrote the miners in a public letter published during their 1886 strike.
On December 18, 1869, six people were killed when a mine cave-in swallowed their homes in Luzerne County.
A newspaper correspondent gives a history of the mining industry in northern Schuylkill County.
David Watkeys was pulled unconscious from the Williamstown Tunnel on May 25, 1904. He survived to tell his story.
As we've previously documented here at Wynning History, photographer Sheldon Dick came to the Coal Region in 1938 to photograph the people and places that made up the cultural landscape in this struggling industrial area. Dick centered his efforts for the Farm Security Administration project around the Schuylkill County community of Shenandoah. Read our story … Continue reading Incredible photographs document the Maple Hill mine near Shenandoah in 1938
On May 1, 1916, miners in the Coal Region earned the 8 hour workday, successfully ending decades of advocacy and protest.