|From the March 19, 1889 edition of the Frederick News.|
Clarence C. Carty owned and operated a furniture store and undertaking business along E. Patrick Street in Frederick, MD during the latter half of the nineteenth century. He purchased it from James Whitehill, who constructed the building in 1832, shortly after the Civil War.The building at 48 E. Patrick Street housed living quarters, a carpenter’s workshop, and space once occupied by a an embalmer after the Maryland Campaign in fall 1862.
|Our very own embalmer! The corruptible and duplicitous Dr. Richard Burr.|
The “Carty” building is now home to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.